Erectile dysfunction (ED) is characterized by premature ejaculation. ED is a more general issue frequently caused by a combination of poor health conditions that restrict blood flow. In contrast, premature ejaculation is merely the inability to sustain intercourse for more than a few minutes.
Premature ejaculation is frequently classified as a psychological disorder due to excessive masturbation or a tight pelvic floor. It is a common sexual complaint among men, is a sexual dysfunction where the semen is passed out of the penis sooner than wanted at the time of sexual climax. It has been found that one out of every 3 adult men experiences this at some point in their lives.
Premature ejaculation is not a worrisome situation if it occurs occasionally. But, men can be diagnosed with this male sex problem, if they:
- Regularly ejaculate within 1-3 minutes of entering the vagina
- Are not able to delay their ejaculation while having sexual intercourse all or nearly all the time
- Are sexually frustrated and as a result, tend to avoid being sexually intimate.
However, the good news is if either or both the sex partners are persistently frustrated and embarrassed by ejaculation times, the problem can be treated. There are medications, sex-related counseling, and even techniques to delay ejaculation and help make sex life better for both partners. [1, 2]
Premature Ejaculation Causes
There is no known reason behind premature ejaculation. Researchers believe that the brain chemistry of men, meaning those who have low serotonin levels in their brains might be taking less time to ejaculate. Some emotional factors can play a role including:
- Lack of self-confidence because of poor body image
- Relationship issues
- Conscious about sexual performance
- Sexual repression- having negative feelings or thoughts about the idea of sex.
Other potential causes for premature ejaculation include:
- Abnormal levels of neurotransmitters
- Hormonal imbalances
- Infection or inflammation of the prostate gland or the urethra
- Erectile dysfunction- When men are not able to keep their penis erect for sex and even if they do they are afraid to lose it and that’s when they develop a pattern of rushing to ejaculate. This can be a habit that is hard to break.
- Genetic predisposition. 
Types of Premature Ejaculation
There are two kinds of premature ejaculation:
1. Primary (or lifelong) Premature Ejaculation- It is a situation wherein males always have this problem of ejaculating very soon, starting from the first sexual encounter. Often, this is because of psychological reasons like having experienced sexual trauma at a young age.
2. Secondary (or acquired) Premature Ejaculation- It is when the males have recently developed the problem due to physical and psychological factors. For instance, having prostatitis or drinking too much alcohol. This means in their previous sexual experiences they didn’t have this ejaculation problem. [1, 2]
Treatment Options for Premature Ejaculation
If premature ejaculation is because of the physical conditions mentioned above, then their treatment should help. A general physician can recommend for best treatment options. Treatment options for erectile dysfunction include medications, the use of penis pumps, penile implants, and exercises.
The common treatments for premature ejaculation are
• Behavioral Techniques: 95% of men with premature ejaculation can be helped out by the following techniques:
- Stop and Start- It is where either of the partners stimulates the penis until the male partner feels like being close to experiencing orgasm. This technique must be stopped for about 30 seconds or until the feeling fades away. The stimulation must be repeated 3-4 times before the male partner ejaculates.
- The Squeeze- This goes the same as the stop and starts method with the only difference being that the penis head is squeezed right before reaching orgasm until the penile erection is lost. It must be repeated a few times before ejaculating.
- Pelvic Floor Exercises/ Kegel Exercises- Premature ejaculation can sometimes be caused because of weak pelvic floor muscles. Kegel exercises can help strengthen these muscles.
To perform such exercises, men can first look for their right pelvic floor muscle to tighten by stopping their urine in midstream or tightening the muscles that keep them from passing gas as both these actions make use of pelvic floor muscles. Once these muscles are identified, they can be exercised in any possible way. However, men must first lie down to easily exercise them.
For making the exercising technique perfect, the pelvic floor muscle must be held tight for 3 seconds and then released for the same duration. Men must aim for repeating the exercises 10 times at least thrice a day. When these muscles get stronger, kegel exercises can be tried out in different ways like while standing, sitting, and walking. While exercising, men must be careful not to flex the muscles in the thighs, abdomen, or buttocks. For optimal results, breathing must not be held during the kegel exercises.
• Medications: These include selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, anesthetic creams with or without thick condoms to make the penis less sensitive, certain pain killers like tramadol, and phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors whose side effects are delaying ejaculation.
• Counseling: If depression, stress, or anxiety is contributing to premature ejaculation, then seeking counseling with a psychiatrist or psychologist can help. Counseling sessions can help men reduce performance anxiety and also find better ways to deal with stressors. Premature ejaculation might cause partners to feel less connected, so talking about this thing is important. Sex therapy and relationship counseling also might help. [1, 3, 4]
Talk to an expert for more information on Premature Ejaculation and Erectile Dysfunction treatment for severe cases
Before receiving medical help, one can try out these tips:
- Make use of a thick condom to help reduce sensation. There are specially designed “climax control” condoms available over the counter which are made of thick latex and have a coating of numbing agents on it.
- Masturbate for 1-2 hours before having sex.
- Choose a sex pose where the partner is on top to allow the partner to pull away while one is close to ejaculating.
- Take a deep breath to shut down the ejaculatory reflex for a brief period.
- Take short breaks while having sex and keep distracting the mind on different things not related to sex.
- Take couples therapy (if in a long-term relationship with the partner).
- Take natural male health supplements that support the sexual health and performance.
The two popular dietary supplements that are worth a try for men with premature ejaculation are Cilexin and Prostate Plus. Cilexin is known to support sexual arousal, sexual mood, and overall sexual health, thus allowing them to be the star of their sexual performance. Prostate Plus provides necessary nutrients to support prostate health, urinary health, and urinary flow. [1, 5, 6]