Ejaculation is the natural response of the male body at the time of sexual climax wherein the semen is expelled out of the penis. Premature ejaculation (PE) is when ejaculation happens before the man or his partner would want it during sexual intercourse. It is a commonly occurring sexual disorder in men, also referred to as premature climax, rapid ejaculation, or early ejaculation. It can happen at any age. 
Premature ejaculation is not a worrisome concern but can be frustrating, make sex less enjoyable, and impact healthy physical relationships. However, the healthcare provider can surely help if the condition happens more often and causes other serious health problems. There are different treatments, including home remedies and medications that can help delay ejaculation.
Premature Ejaculation can be Classified in Two Ways:
Primary or lifelong premature ejaculation- When the condition prevails during all or nearly all sexual encounters in one’s life.
Secondary or acquired premature ejaculation- When the condition is noticed after having sexual episodes without ejaculatory problems. [1,2]
Causes of Premature Ejaculation
To date, there is hardly any research done on finding reasons behind premature ejaculation. There are a few hunches: Some doctors believe biological factors like changes in the way of interactions of hormones and nerves or an oversensitive penis causes premature ejaculation. Serotonin, a natural substance made by the nerves in the brain may play a role.
High production of serotonin in the brain can increase the time of ejaculation. Other experts think emotional/psychological factors such as fear of sexual performance failure, depression, guilt, stress, lack of confidence, earlier records of sexual repression, or relationship issues, are the cause.
Furthermore, aging can be an indirect cause of PE as older men are found to have less firm and not long-lasting penile erections that lead to early ejaculation. [1,3]
How do Doctors Diagnose Premature Ejaculation?
Premature ejaculation is diagnosed by a urologist or general physician if:
- almost always, ejaculation occurs unintentionally within a minute of penetration
- the condition is persistent for more than 6 months
- early ejaculation is distressing
- the time taken to achieve ejaculation is actually in the abnormal range and not just a feeling of being too short
- if there is no underlying medical problem identified as a cause.
For diagnosis, the patient must inform his doctor about his average time taken to ejaculate, the number of times or frequency of premature ejaculation happening too early, how much bothersome is premature ejaculation, and whether he can delay his ejaculation. Further medical tests are run to check if premature ejaculation is thought to be a result of some medical problem. 
Treatment Options for Premature Ejaculation
The main remedies for PE include psychological therapy, behavioral therapy, and medical therapy. The healthcare provider can help determine the best choice for a particular patient. At a single time, patients can invest in more than one treatment.
- Psychological Therapy- This approach focuses on the emotions and feelings that may result in issues with sexual relationships. Its goal is to learn the main culprit of the problems and figure out solutions that may help PE. This way the couples can build a stronger bond with one another. The therapy can help patients overcome their fears of sexual inadequacy and be more sexually confident as well as understanding to help sexually satisfy their partners. It can be a stand-alone therapy or done along with other therapies.
- Behavioral Therapy– In this therapy, the patients are asked to perform certain exercises routinely to build a tolerance to delay ejaculation. Some choices worth trying out include:
1. The Squeeze Method: This involves penis stimulation by both partners until the male partner is going to reach sexual climax. When close to ejaculation, either of the sex partners firmly squeezes the penis so that the erection goes away partly. The goal is to become aware of sensations that lead to the climax and then at some time be able to better control and delay sexual climax on own.
2.The Start-Stop Method: In this method, both sex partners stimulate the penis only just before ejaculation. When about to ejaculate, both of them may stop until the urge to climax lessen and when the male partner regains control, they can start stimulating the penis again. This can be done repeatedly 3 times a week until the male partner has more control.
- Medical Therapy– Some drugs can help increase the time taken for an individual to ejaculate. These include numbing creams or sprays that can be applied at the tip of the penis to reduce sensations and even oral drugs that can affect serotonin levels. One option for drug therapy is alpha 1- adrenoceptor antagonist. The drugs for PE can be consumed daily or only prior to having sex, as directed by the doctor on the sexual activity of the patient. [1,3]
Self-Help Techniques to Control Premature Ejaculation
Before consulting a doctor for medical assistance, try out some self-help techniques, including:
- Masturbate for 1-2 hours before getting indulged in sexual intercourse
- Reduce the sensation of the penis by using a thick condom
Practice deep breathing to shut down the ejaculatory reflex for a brief time period.
- Try out a sex position wherein the partner lies on top to allow her to pull away your penis when you are about to experience sexual climax.
- While having sex take some breaks and keep distracting yourself by thinking about something that’s not related to sex
- If married or in a long-term relationship, try taking benefit from couple therapy. In such a therapy, you may be shown techniques that can help you put away the habit of premature ejaculation. 
Try Out Everyday Male Sexual Health Supplements!
Cilexin– It is a dietary supplement containing both modern and traditional, the finest natural ingredients that support male arousal, sexual health, and sexual mood. The ingredients include Panax Ginseng, Tongkat Ali, L-Arginine, Maca, minerals like calcium and zinc, and a proprietary blend.
VitaPost Prostate Plus– Men who suffer from premature ejaculation as a result of poor urinary flow, urinary health, or prostate health can take 2 capsules in a day of Prostate Plus and enjoy the benefits of Saw Palmetto, Vitamin E, Green tea, Nettle, Cat’s Claw, and Pygeum Africanum. [5, 6]