Keeping in good health is very important for every human being and it’s possible only when one knows how to take care of oneself. To ensure a long healthy and happy life, health experts usually recommend considering doing exercises, following a balanced diet, and letting go of unhealthy habits. The same goes for men who wish to maintain the health of their prostate gland.
This article will let men get an insight into the most significant concerns related to their prostate health and even provide them with the 10 best strategies to support prostate health. [1, 2]
What’s Prostate, Its Role, and Different Types of Prostate Problems
The prostate is a gland, a part of the male reproductive system, which is situated at the bottom of the bladder and right in front of the rectum. In young men (aged under 40 years), the gland is shaped and sized like a walnut and typically it may grow in size of apricot as men grow older.
Primarily, the prostate’s role is to produce an alkaline fluid (a component of semen) that nourishes and protects sperms and even provides a hospital fluid vehicle to transport sperms at the time of sexual climax to reach the egg in the female for fertilization.
Type of Prostrate Concerns- The most common prostate concerns experienced by men include:
- Bacterial or Non-Bacterial Prostatitis (most common)- Prostatitis is an inflammation of the prostate gland that can be caused by an acute or bacterial infection or by other possible causes among men of any age group. When prostatitis is associated with symptoms like chronic pelvic pain, pain while ejaculating, and urinating problems, it is not because of bacteria and is known as chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Sometimes, the inflammation and tenderness are not seen but can be discovered while testing for other health issues. Such a condition is called asymptomatic inflammatory prostatitis.
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia- Also known as Enlarged prostate, it is a condition common in older men. It can be associated with lower urinary tract symptoms.
- Prostate Cancer- It is a serious prostate concern wherein prostate cells grow uncontrollably and abnormally functionally. This may happen because of aging, smoking, ethnicity, family history, and even a diet rich in saturated fat. [2, 3]
Natural Ways of Prostate Support and Healthy
If the health of the prostate gland is not kept under check, there are chances that the sufferer of prostate concerns can start experiencing various health complications that could be life-threatening too. Therefore, to help alleviate or prevent risk factors of prostate enlargement and prostate diseases, here are the 10 best possible ways to maintain a healthy prostate.
1. Have a Healthy Eating Pattern
The very first step to attaining prostate wellness is a re-assessment of food intake. For healthy prostate, the diet is rich in vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants that can fight against free radicals and regulate inflammation. Health experts recommend following healthy eating pattern tips to support prostate health:
- Cut down on the consumption of red meat and even processed meats. Healthier protein sources for the prostate can be fish, eggs, skinless poultry, and beans.
- Eat healthy fats, such as avocados, walnuts, and olive oil as well as fish which is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Limit the intake of saturated fats as present in dairy and other animal products. Completely avoid having trans fats (partially hydrogenated fats) which are found in many processed and fast foods.
- Limit the intake of refined sugars. Eat sweets occasionally.
- Choose to eat less-salty foods. Limit the consumption of canned, processed, and frozen food items.
- Eat at least five servings of fresh fruits and vegetables daily.
- Choose whole-grain bread and cereals.
- Eat slowly, in small portions, and stop eating when feeling full. [1, 4]
2. Drink More Green Tea or Coffee
Green tea is a healthy beverage loaded with antioxidants called catechins that can help support prostate health. It contains less caffeine than coffee. According to studies, men who consume green tea extracts or coffee daily are less likely to contract prostate cancer. [1, 6]
3. Achieve or Maintain a Healthy Body Weight
Overweight or obese men have more chances to have poor prostate health. Research has shown that obese men are at higher risk of developing prostate cancer Therefore, men must participate in regular physical activity and fill their plates with small portions of healthy fats, lean proteins, fresh fruits, legumes, whole grains, and vegetables to encourage a healthy body weight which further supports prostate health. [2, 6]
4. Get Enough Vitamin D
Vitamin D deficiency is mostly diagnosed in older men. Some researchers believe that men can have a high risk of enlarged prostate because of Vitamin deficiency. Low body levels of Vitamin D in men can even increase the risk of getting prostate cancer. Therefore, it’s a must to get some Vitamin D from sun exposure or Vitamin D supplements. [2, 5]
5. Quit Smoking
Avoiding tobacco is very important to prostate health. That’s because it can increase the number of free radicals in the body and the risk of hypoxia, thereby increasing the risk of prostate cancer. 
6. Manage Stress
Men who suffer from anxiety and any kind of pressure are likely to produce hormones that over time could promote prostate growth. So, to avoid enlarged prostate or other prostate-related issues, men should prioritize mental health. They must go for stress management through relaxation techniques. 
7. Get Annually Screened for Prostate Cancer
It is crucial for men aged above 50 as well as younger men with a family history of prostate concern to have prostate exams every year. The check-up involves a digital rectal exam and prostate-specific antigen blood test. Recommendations for prostate cancer screening are different for every man depending upon their risk levels. If men are in a high-risk group, they must be screened at age of 40 while men who are in the normal-risk group can start getting screened at age of 55. [1, 5]
8. Regularly Exercise
Men must aim for 30 minutes daily moderate-intensity exercise for 5 days a week. It’s essential to be physically active to maintain good prostate health. 
9. Get Indulged In More Sexual Activity
Many research studies suggest that physically active men who frequently ejaculate are less likely to get prostate cancer because of the use of their prostate gland. 
10. Take Natural Health Supplements
There are many dietary supplements out there that claim good prostate health. VitaPost Prostate Plus is a popular supplement packed with vitamins, minerals, and many herbal extracts (such as Saw Palmetto) in a serving size of 2 capsules. It contains natural ingredients such as green tea extract, pumpkin seed, tomato powder, plant sterols, and much more to help support healthy prostate The ingredients synergistically work together to even support a healthy urine flow and urinary health. 
Product that can help to boost prostate health in males:
VitaPost Prostate Plus formula that is made with modern and traditional ingredients, to provide nutritional support to prostate gland.